Reflect on the history of the Culverhouse College of Business as you scroll through the timeline

Look for more moments to be added over the coming weeks.

 

1919

Undergraduate Program Launched

1919
Undergraduate Program Launched

Lee Bidgood, the first dean of the College, launched the undergraduate program in 1919. The first programs launched were specializations in accounting, banking and finance,…

Read more

Bidgood Becomes First Dean

1919
Bidgood Becomes First Dean

In 1919, Lee Bidgood became the first dean of the College of Commerce and Business Administration.. Dean Bidgood served the boards of directors for many…

Read more

1920s

Commerce Club Established

1922
Commerce Club Established

The Commerce Club was established in the fall of 1922 by students and professor H.H. Chapman. The Commerce Club “sought to advance the purposes of…

Read more

Beta Gamma Sigma Chapter Established

1923
Beta Gamma Sigma Chapter Established

To encourage interest in higher scholarship and college activities among commerce students, the Sigma Eta chapter of the Beta Gamma Sigma fraternity was established. The…

Read more

Graduate Program Launched

1924
Graduate Program Launched

In 1924, the College of Commerce & Business Administration organized the first graduate programs

Read more

Master of Science in Commerce Awarded

1924
Master of Science in Commerce Awarded

The first Master degree was awarded in 1924 as the Master of Science in Commerce.

Read more

Alpha Kappa Psi Chapter Established

1924
Alpha Kappa Psi Chapter Established

The Alpha Rho chapter of Alpha Kappa Psi was introduced to the University in 1924. The fraternity was originally created in 1904 at New York…

Read more

Delta Sigma Pi Chapter Established

1926
Delta Sigma Pi Chapter Established

Delta Sigma Pi originated at the New York School of Commerce in 1907. A local chapter had been active on the University campus for some…

Read more

Commerce Building Opens

1928
Commerce Building Opens

In the fall of 1928, construction was completed for the Commerce Building, the Commerce School’s first building, and opened for the fall semester. The Commerce…

Read more

First Accreditation

1929
First Accreditation

In 1929 the School of Commerce and Business Administration become the 38th school to earn admission into the American Association of Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).

Read more

Phi Chi Theta (Chi Theta) Chapter Established

1929
Phi Chi Theta (Chi Theta) Chapter Established

Chi Theta was a professional fraternity for women organized in the Commerce School in 1929. In 1936 the local chapter affiliated with Phi Chi Theta,…

Read more

1930s

Bureau of Business Research Established

1930
Bureau of Business Research Established

In November of 1930, Lee Bidgood and professor H.H. Chapman created the Bureau of Business Research as what Chapman described as “a vision of a…

Read more

1st Real Estate Graduate

1930
1st Real Estate Graduate

Secretarial Work Added as a Major

1936
Secretarial Work Added as a Major

Statistics Added as a Major

1937
Statistics Added as a Major

Commerce Building Addition

1939
Commerce Building Addition

As enrollment increased, the need for more space became immediate and Dean Bidgood decided an expansion of the Commerce building was necessary. In September of…

Read more

1940s

Military Training Program Administered

1941
Military Training Program Administered

To aid in Wartime efforts, Dean Bidgood, a member of the University’s National Defense Council Program, the Commerce School played an important role in training…

Read more

MBA Program Launched

1944
MBA Program Launched

Following World War II, there was an influx of GIs into the school. Dean Bidgood sought to expand the school’s graduate programs. Launched in 1944,…

Read more

Beta Alpha Psi Chapter Founded

1948
Beta Alpha Psi Chapter Founded

The National Accounting fraternity established a chapter at the Commerce School in 1948 with the goal “to encourage and foster the ideal of service as…

Read more

First Annual Spring Frolics

1949
First Annual Spring Frolics

On May 14, 1949, Mr. A. E. Hohenberg of Memphis gave the principal address at the first annual Commerce Spring Frolics, and awards from various…

Read more

1950s

Propeller Club

1950
Propeller Club

In the spring of 1950, a chapter of the Propeller Club was formed for students who were interested in the maritime transportation industry. It was…

Read more

Ph.D. Program Launched

1950
Ph.D. Program Launched

President Gallalee took advantage of the contingent gathered at the dedication of Bidgood Hall to announce the Commerce School would be launching a Ph.D. program for…

Read more

Chi Alpha Phi Created

1951
Chi Alpha Phi Created

In the spring of 1951, a group of business statistics students created Chi Alpha Phi, an organization for students interested in the application of statistical…

Read more

Bidgood Hall Expansion

1951
Bidgood Hall Expansion

Along with the dedication of Bidgood Hall, President John Gallalee announced an expansion to the building. This would add 36,032 square feet of new space…

Read more

Commerce Building Renamed

1952
Commerce Building Renamed

On Commerce Day and the 32nd Anniversary of the School of Commerce, February 15th, 1952, the Commerce Building was renamed Bidgood Hall after esteemed Dean…

Read more

Alabama Business Research Council Founded

1953
Alabama Business Research Council Founded

Founded by Lee Bidgood in the early 1950s, the Alabama Business Research Council developed effective ways in which a work and research team can bring…

Read more

Catherine Miles Receives First PH.D.

1953
Catherine Miles Receives First PH.D.

Catherine Miles was the first woman to receive a Ph.D. in accounting at the University of Alabama. She first enrolled at the University in 1936…

Read more

Garner Named Second Dean

1954
Garner Named Second Dean

After being hand-picked by Dean Bidgood to teach accounting, Paul Garner turned down the numerous offers from other universities to teach at the School of…

Read more

1960s

Marketing Added as a Major

1960
Marketing Added as a Major

Vivian Malone’s Enrollment

1963
Vivian Malone’s Enrollment

Vivian Malone, alongside James Hood, enrolled at The University of Alabama in 1963 becoming one of the first black students. Two years later she graduated…

Read more

C&BA Becomes a College

1969
C&BA Becomes a College

1970s

Lena Prewitt Joins Faculty

1970
Lena Prewitt Joins Faculty

Dr. Lena Prewitt joined the college in 1970 as one of the first black faculty members. Dr. Prewitt taught management had a lasting impact on…

Read more

Fielden Named Third Dean

1971
Fielden Named Third Dean

Jack Fielden was named the third dean of the Commerce and Business Administration

Read more

Manpower Institute Introduced

1972
Manpower Institute Introduced

The Manpower Institute was instituted in 1972 in the early days of Jack Fielden’s deanship. It was ran by Chuck Odewahn and Allan Spritzer who…

Read more

Master of Tax Accounting Degree Introduced

1977
Master of Tax Accounting Degree Introduced

Dean John Fielden introduced the Master of Tax Accounting (MTA) degree to the College of Commerce and Business Administration in 1977, adding to an impressive…

Read more

School of Accountancy Established

1978
School of Accountancy Established

In July of 1978, the School of Accountancy was established as an academic unit of the College of Commerce and Business Administration. Later, the school…

Read more

1980s

Edward Smith Named (Fourth) Interim Dean

1980
Edward Smith Named (Fourth) Interim Dean

Serving as an interim dean while the search committee looked for a replacement for Jack Fielden, Edward Smith led the college into the 1980s.

Read more

Mitchell Becomes Fifth Dean

1981
Mitchell Becomes Fifth Dean

H.H. “Bill” Mitchell accepted a five-year appointment as dean after the untiimely death of Dr. Kenneth Uhl, the search committee’s choice for dean in 1980. Mitchell…

Read more

Five-year Master of Accountancy Introduced

1984
Five-year Master of Accountancy Introduced

Executive MBA offered at UA

1985
Executive MBA offered at UA

Peterson Named Sixth Dean

1986
Peterson Named Sixth Dean

Russ Petersen helped the college maintain its high standard through his understanding of what the national standards were. His policies were favored by many, especially…

Read more

Manderson Graduate School of Business Named

1987
Manderson Graduate School of Business Named

In 1987, the Culverhouse College of Commerce renamed their graduate division to The Manderson Graduate School of Business in recognition of Lewis Manderson’s  generous $1…

Read more

Mason Named Seventh Dean

1988
Mason Named Seventh Dean

Dean Barry Mason became the College of Commerce and Business Administration’s seventh dean in 1988 and served as dean for 23 years. His term is…

Read more

The S. Paul Garner Center for Current Accounting Issues

1988
The S. Paul Garner Center for Current Accounting Issues

The Culverhouse School of Accountancy established the S. Paul Garner Center for Current Accounting Issues in 1988. It was used in fostering and enhancing accounting…

Read more

School of Accountancy Named After Culverhouse

1989
School of Accountancy Named After Culverhouse

In February of 1989, Commerce School alumnus Hugh F. Culverhouse donated $3 million to the School of Accountancy and later recieved naming rights of the…

Read more

1990s

Bashinsky Computer Lab and Bruno Library Donation

1994
Bashinsky Computer Lab and Bruno Library Donation

Dreams of a new business library and computer center for the business college finally became a reality in 1994 with the generous donation of $4…

Read more

Alabama Center for Real Estate Founded

1996
Alabama Center for Real Estate Founded

2010s

Hardin Named Eighth Dean

2011
Hardin Named Eighth Dean

STEM Path to the MBA Introduced

2011
STEM Path to the MBA Introduced

The STEM Path to the MBA was introduced to the University to allow high-achieving undergraduate students majoring in STEM disciplines to complete coursework to earn…

Read more

Marillyn A. Hewson Data Analytics Lab

2015
Marillyn A. Hewson Data Analytics Lab

The Marillyn A. Hewson Data Analytics opened in 2015 with Lockheed Martin, Healthcare Business Solutions and SAS as partners. The Lab provides collaboration among students,…

Read more

Palan Named Ninth Dean

2016
Palan Named Ninth Dean

2016 marked the year the college hired its first female dean, Kay Palan.

Read more

CREATE Path to the MBA Introduced

2016
CREATE Path to the MBA Introduced

Launched in Fall 2016, the CREATE Path to the MBA was created for high-achieving undergraduate students majoring in traditionally creative disciplines, giving them the opportunity…

Read more

Vulcan Value Research Library

2016
Vulcan Value Research Library

The college is the first to offer a Value Investing specialization at both the graduate and undergraduate level and opened a Value Investing Research Library…

Read more

Hewson Hall Announced

2018
Hewson Hall Announced

On September 28th, 2018, Dean Kay Palan announced the newest addition to the Culverhouse campus, Hewson Hall. The building was named after distinguished alum Marillyn…

Read more

New Name for the Business School

2018
New Name for the Business School

In early 2018, the business college at The University of Alabama announced that it was implementing its new name: Culverhouse College of Business. This name…

Read more